Thursday, December 4, 2008

My 2008 Halloween Cookie Creations



Just another look back at the fun baking I had during the fall season.
This time, I was baking for a specific purpose; one of our family friends
had asked me to bake up about 6 dozen or so cookies for her church
Harvest Fest. They would be auctioned off as prizes for the annual cake
walk. For those of you who don't know what a cake walk is, it is a giant
circle(or square) on the floor made up of numbers 1 through however many
spaces they choose to have. People pay x amount of dollars to play the game. Then once everyone is on a numbered space, the music starts and you go around in a clockwise fashion. Once the music stops, the person hosting will draw a number. If the number
you are standing on gets called, you get to go up to the table covered in goodies
(that are donated), and pick whatever you want!! It is such a fun concept. I remember
it being the main highlight of the fall season when I would go to the Penny Carnival
as a kid. You might think since the goodies are donated, they would lack flavor, but
that was hardly the case! All the older ladies would make the best breads, pies, etc.
and I knew when I got old enough to bake, I definitely wanted to contribute!
So I was ecstatic to make these cookies. I wanted to do something crazy and fun to
delight all the little kids, and hoped that they would look back on all the great goodies
when they grow up as well! I was so glad my creations turned out a success!
I also found a funny little cartoon picture showing what a cake walk looks like.
I would highly recommend using the cakewalk idea at any charity events! People
are always willing to donate baked goods, and people love even more to join in
the cakewalk fun, just like I did!!

Monster Mash Cookies

*I came up with this recipe after seeing the eery colored M&M's in Target
one day. I used my favorite base of cake mix cookies (easy, cheap, and everyone

seems to go crazy over the "cakeness of the cookie" texture) and added these

into them. After debating on a name, I finally settled on "Monster Mash" cookies,

because the colors reminded me of some ghostly monster blob sort of thing. =)

But don't be fooled, these aren't scary tasting! They're actually quite delightful.

Ingredients:

1 (18.9 oz.) box of chocolate cake mix (in this case I used the Pillsbury German Chocolate flavor)

1/3 C vegetable oil
2 large eggs

1 1/2 C Halloween mix M&M's


Directions:

1. HEAT oven to 375°F. Combine cake mix, oil and eggs in large bowl; stir with spoon until thoroughly moistened. Add in the M&M's, saving about 2 Tbsp. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten to 1/4-inch thickness with bottom of glass dipped in flour. Press a couple M&M's on the top of each for a pretty display!

2.BAKE 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.
3.STORE in tightly covered container.



Candy Corn Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
Yes another cake mix cookie. I swear once you try these, you will also gravitate

toward them when situations call for huge batches of cookies, and you just don't

feel like mixing numerous batches from scratch, and dread the mess at the end.

For this one I used Pillsbury limited edition Halloween Funfetti Cake Mix along

with Hershey's candy corn kisses which are oh so cute! Result=Fun/Cute Cookie

Here's a link to a review of these fun Hershey's kisses to check out at one of my


+= Cassie's Candy Corn Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies

Ingredients:
1 box of Pillsbury Halloween Funfetti Cake Mix
1/3 C vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 bag of Hershey's Candy Corn Kisses
Directions:
1.Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, combine cake mix, oil and eggs; stir with spoon until thoroughly moistened. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With bottom of glass dipped in flour, flatten to 1/4-inch thickness. While first batch is baking unwrap the kisses.
2.Bake at 375°F. for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute, then press 1 kiss into the middle of each cookie; remove from cookie sheets once kisses are completely cooled and have had a chance to harden up again.
3. Store in tightly covered container.

No comments: