Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Cookie Countdown [Day 7]

I cannot believe it is the "eve" of Christmas Eve already! Every year December seems to go by even faster. It's sad because I love the holiday season, but also good to get through another winter month, which means summer is closer! Now the days will start getting longer again, minute by minute, but it's better than losing a minute. For the past 7 days, it seems as if each day has been the same. A blur of baking, playing our new Wii(which is SO fun), and then finishing the night off by working on a 750 piece puzzle. I got our whole family to pitch in because I am hoping to glue it and frame it for my grandma's xmas present. It's of a moose and she absolutely loves them. But, I think we might have to give her a "rain check" because it is coming together slower than expected due to the maze of colors that is making it extremely difficult!
But now to the recipe, which is what you came for I am sure! It's the first bar recipe I have featured on my blog, which actually surprised me because I have many great bar recipes that I want to share. The reason for all the cookies was of course because they freeze well. But this bar recipe is one that does freeze well, if they even make it to the freezer because they're so delicious! It's a bar made from a cookie mix, but they are called cake bars. Kind of strange. The recipe came out of a Betty Crocker Holiday cookbook I got. If you don't like cherries, than this recipe is probably not for you, but you maybe could add a different fruit to your liking. =)
Festive Cake Bars
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Ingredients:
1 bag of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1 10 oz jar of maraschino cherries(stems removed,drained,and finely chopped)
1/4 C butter, melted
1/4 C milk
2 eggs
1/2 Tsp almond extract
1 tub(12oz)whipped white fluffy frosting
2 Tbsp red decorating sugar

Directions:
1)Heat oven to 350 F. Spray 13x9 inch pan with baking spray with flour. In medium bowl, beat cookie mix, butter, milk, and eggs with electric mixer on medium until well mixed. Stir in chopped cherries and almond extract. Spread in pan.
2)Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in to center comes out clean. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 45 minutes. Frost with frosting. Cut in 6 rows by 4 rows.
3)Measure red sugar into bowl. Press 2-inch cookie cutter lightly into frosting of bar to make an imprint of design, then remove the cutter. Dip cutter into the sugar; place imprint in frosting to make design.





No comments: