Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Fruity Treat That Screams Summer

Not only does this new recipe scream summer, the temperature finally hit an all-time high of 80 yesterday which was like a balmy tropical island heat wave for Minnesotans! I hope wherever you are you were feelin’ the heat today too! Although not all was perfect outside—unfortunately the wind was way breezy and ruined my attempt to sit out and go through some magazines for recipes. Good thing we have a screened in porch! So this recipe I am featuring today is yet another of my attempts to “copy and paste” many recipe techniques and ideas together to achieve a unique and original new recipe! If you’ve followed my blog for awhile now, I am sure you know that I get the most satisfaction out of creating my own recipes rather than following a written recipe. What can I say? I don’t like to follow the rules recipes! ;-)Needless to say, it turned out to be what I (and my family,friends,etc)thought a winner! So much so that I am entering it into a local rhubarb contest and the winner gets to prepare and speak on your dish at the annual rhubarb festival. Fun, right?! I hope you have access to rhubarb, because this dessert is a summer must from a BBQ to a family renunion!

4774003946

Sweet Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Bars

*Serves: 16 *Bake Time: 55 min.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, chopped
  • 1 recipe Ginger Icing (below)
  • 1 1/2 C quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 1 C all-purpose flour + 2 Tbsp
  • 3/4 C packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 C butter
  • 1/4 C granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 Tbsp of powdered strawberry Jell-o mix
  • Slices strawberries for garnish, optional
  • **Ginger Icing**: 3/4 sifted powdered sugar, 3 to 4 tsp. of milk, 1/4 tsp of ground ginger

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 8x8x2’ baking pan with foil, letting the sides hand over. Lightly mist with cooking spray.

2. In large bowl, stir together oats, the 1 C flour, and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

CIMG0032

3.Set aside 1 C oats mixture and press remaining into bottom of your pan. Bake 25 minutes.

CIMG0034

4.Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together granulated sugar, 2 TBSP flour, ground sugar, Jell-o powder, and spices. Add rhubarb and toss to coat.CIMG0033 CIMG0035

5.Spread mixture on hot crust. Sprinkle reserved oats mixture; press lightly. 

CIMG0037

 6.Bake 30-35 minutes until top is golden and filling is bubbly. While it’s baking, stir together the ginger icing adding milk until desired consistency is achieved. CIMG0036

7.Once done baking, cool on rack. Drizzle icing and top with sliced strawberries if you choose. Lift from pan; cut into bars. Makes 16CIMG0046 CIMG0044

6 comments:

Meg said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm so happy you did - because I love your blog! I could browse through your recipes aaallll day! Your layout/pictures are so adorable, too, and you're gorgeous!

Have a lovely Thursday!

Meg

Jenny said...

yumm.. i have never tried rhubarb before but i have seen recipes for it all over the blogosphere - I think I may have to give in and give it a whirl :) Thanks for the awesome recipe, love!

xoxo, Jenny

Cookie said...

I've never tried rhubarb either and there seems to be all these yummy recipes popping up everywhere! That ginger icing is so unique but seems perfect on these bars. :)

Erica said...

Looks awesome! I also have never tried Rhubarb, but it is so hot right now! I need to pick some up. Great recipe!

Thank you for your comment on my blog by the way- I guess I will have to get to more baking...darn it ;)

Anonymous said...

sad to say, I've never had rhubarb before! they look sooo good, soo pink and pretty!

Krista said...

Thanks for emailing me about this recipe! I think I'll try it over the weekend. I will be sure to link back to you!!!