Not only does this new recipe scream summer, the temperature finally hit an all-time high of 80 yesterday which was like a balmy tropical island heat wave for Minnesotans! I hope wherever you are you were feelin’ the heat today too! Although not all was perfect outside—unfortunately the wind was way breezy and ruined my attempt to sit out and go through some magazines for recipes. Good thing we have a screened in porch! So this recipe I am featuring today is yet another of my attempts to “copy and paste” many recipe techniques and ideas together to achieve a unique and original new recipe! If you’ve followed my blog for awhile now, I am sure you know that I get the most satisfaction out of creating my own recipes rather than following a written recipe. What can I say? I don’t like to follow the
rules recipes! ;-)Needless to say, it turned out to be what I (and my family,friends,etc)thought a winner! So much so that I am entering it into a local rhubarb contest and the winner gets to prepare and speak on your dish at the annual rhubarb festival. Fun, right?! I hope you have access to rhubarb, because this dessert is a summer must from a BBQ to a family renunion!
Sweet Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Bars
*Serves: 16 *Bake Time: 55 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, chopped
- 1 recipe Ginger Icing (below)
- 1 1/2 C quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 C all-purpose flour + 2 Tbsp
- 3/4 C packed brown sugar
- 3/4 C butter
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp of powdered strawberry Jell-o mix
- Slices strawberries for garnish, optional
- **Ginger Icing**: 3/4 sifted powdered sugar, 3 to 4 tsp. of milk, 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 8x8x2’ baking pan with foil, letting the sides hand over. Lightly mist with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, stir together oats, the 1 C flour, and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3.Set aside 1 C oats mixture and press remaining into bottom of your pan. Bake 25 minutes.
5.Spread mixture on hot crust. Sprinkle reserved oats mixture; press lightly.