Well, Sunday is here and that means Monday tomorrow, but hopefully you all had a super weekend! We had Friday off of school for homecoming and such, so I was not complaining of a 3 day weekend =) So what did I do with 3 days? Homework, cleaned, shopped, and cooked a meal for my dad and I! He hasn’t seen my apartment since it was all boxes because he’s a over-the-road trucker, so our schedules usually conflict. This weekend my mom was gone, so it was perfect!
Not seeing my dad for 3 months was extremely crazy—he makes me laugh, and I needed a dose of dad humor and of course a big hug! I already knew what was on the menu for us—he and I are huge seafood fans (my mom doesn’t like it), so here’s our menu! It turned out fabulous!
Dad & Daughter Menu
- Crab Stuffed Chicken (recipe here)
- Homemade Roasted Garlic Wheat Bread (recipe below)
- Sliced Garden Tomatoes
- Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, and Fennel (recipe below)
My dad was so excited—check out when I delivered his plate to him! (don’t mind the hat hair ha ha)
With a look at this, could you blame him for his excitement?
Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, and Fennel
(This was so flavorful, and perfect as a side dish for any fall meal!)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive or canola oil
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and carrots in to your desired size/shape.
- Slice fennel bulb and cut into four sections.
- Toss all veggies with oil and brown sugar. Add salt and pepper.
- Take a casserole dish or roasting pan and spread veggies in a single layer.
- Cover pan with tinfoil and roast for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15-20 mins. Roast until sweet potatoes and carrots are tender and fennel starts to brown.
Roasted Garlic Wheat Bread (bread machine)
Makes 2 pound loaf
- 1 c water
- 1/2 sour cream
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 c bread flour
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- Place ingredients in bread machine in above order.
- Choose wheat bread cycle if available, otherwise just the standard.
If you do not have a bread machine, you could easily make this my prepping yeast, mixing, and letting rise, then baking. I would suggest following another similar oven-baked bread recipe for a basic time guideline.