The fall farmer’s market has arrived in town and I am
happy ecstatic! Fresh, local, and cheap—what more could a foodie ask for? I quick swung in there before I left for the weekend and got all these goodies for $3 bucks! Acorn squash, Yukon potato, cucumber, and two veggies I have never tried—a fairy eggplant(baby eggplants) and a lemon cucumber. I love how you can ask the farmers about their produce and they’ll give you the 411. I used the fairy eggplant in today’s recipe, and I loved the lemon cuke, a little bit sweeter than your typical one. What are you farmer market favorites? I can’t wait to go back! Find a local Farmer’s Market here!
Today’s recipe is from my cookbook of the month [check it out if you haven’t already!] and of course I did make a few changes to this, but it’s basically the same idea. To say I liked this recipe would be an understatement—I loved it! I’ve made it 3 times this week. It’s perfect for on-the-go lunches and it’s really cheap to whip up.
Most Egg-cellent Breakfast Strata
* 2 1/2 Tbsp low-fat herb croutons
* 1 slice of sandwich bread (white or wheat), cubed
* 4 oz Italian turkey sausage links
* 1/2 c diced zucchini
* 1/4 c minced onions
*1/4 c diced red bell pepper
* 1/2 c shredded light cheddar cheese blend
* 4 egg whites
* 1/2 c milk, I used Almond Breeze, which gave it a nice taste!
* 1/4 tsp each, black pepper and salt
**I also added 1/4 c of fairy eggplant—you could add whatever other veggies you want!**
^[Products I used above]^
- Spray a standard size loaf pan with cooking spray. Spread croutons and cubed bread slice evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Spray a medium non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Slice sausage and add to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until cooked through. Add zucchini, onions, eggplant, and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir for about 3 more minutes, until veggies began to soften.
- To assemble strata, spoon sausage mixture evenly over croutons. Top with shredded cheese.
- Whisk together egg whites, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage and vegetables. Let strata stand for 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bake, uncovered for 30-35 minutes, until eggs are completely set. Let stand around 5 minutes before serving.
If you make this, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!