Well guys, I have a problem. I guess maybe it isn’t that bad of a problem—it’s an overabundance of garden zucchini. My grandpa is a big-time gardener and they sent me a huge load of zucchini, so of course now I need to find delicious ways to use it! I made some roasted zucchini fries yesterday, cut it up for salads, and can you guess what’s next? Something baked of course! This is an original recipe of mine, so please link back if you happen to use it! =)
Do you have any favorite recipes using zucchini?
Zucchini Snack Cake
- 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 c packed light brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar blend)
- 6 tbsp light vegetable oil spread (such as I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, which is what I used)
- 1/2 c egg whites (approx. 3 eggs)
- 1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C of pureed zucchini
- 1/4 C of sweet potato baby food
- 1 1/2 C thawed frozen light whipped topping (such as Cool Whip Lite)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional- 1 Tbsp mini chocolate chips (I added this after the pictures!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 8” square baking pan with cooking spray. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, soda and salt; reserve.
- On medium-high speed, beat sugar and butter spread until fluffy (2-3 minutes). Beat in egg whites and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined. Stir in zucchini and jarred baby food.
- Transfer to pan, bake 30 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from pan; cool. Spread with topping, sprinkle cinnamon and chocolate chips if desired.
Tip of the day:
Make sure all your baking flours are stored in an air tight container so they don’t get stale-like. Here’s how I store mine—simple yet effective!