Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tis’ the Season for Twists and Tips

When you hear of peanut butter blossoms, everyone envisions the same sugar-coated, tender peanut butter cookie, topped with a half-melted Hershey’s kiss right? I love traditions and all, but I figured why not give the original a yummy twist?!

The original peanut butter blossoms:

Peanut Butter Blossoms

My new and improved peanut butter bombs:

CIMG1123

What’s the difference?

  • Start with a cake mix vs a cookie mix.
  • Instead of regular creamy peanut butter, I used a chocolate peanut butter, more specifically Dark Chocolate Dreams.

Ingredients:

  • 1 box Betty Crocker Devil’s Food cake mix and ingredients called for on box
  • 1/2 c chocolate peanut butter, nutella would work as well
  • 1 bag of Hershey’s kisses, I used the candy cane—tis’ the season!

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to the temp called for on the box.
  • Mix cake mix and called for ingredients together whisking in the peanut butter towards to end.
  • Roll into 1 Tbsp balls and bake according to package directions—start unwrapping kisses.
  • Once out of the oven, cool for 2 minutes, add kisses, and let cool completely.

Quick tip:

I usually dread melting chocolate due to the mess it makes and all the dishes I need to do. I wish Santa would bring me a dishwasher!! So I decided why not put my measured out chocolate into a freezer quart Ziploc bag and immerse it into boiling water, let the chips melt completely, then carefully take the bag out, snip the corner and decorate/frost/eat from there!! So much easier and saves a lot of time, which is what I am looking to do this season!

 

I am going to see 2012 in the theatre tonight—it’s only about 5 degrees out---brrrrr!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Yours rock. Like, 500% better! They look SO good and whimsical and Christmasy! Love them!

Anonymous said...

energy baxer redesigning affirmative regain uncontrolled widen paragraph djus condiments experiments
semelokertes marchimundui

Erica said...

oh these are SO pretty. So holiday perfect. LOVE them. Happy Sunday :)

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

LOVE these!!! happy sunday girl!

Kim said...

I love how you called them peanut butter bombs! Very cute. I looked for the candy cane kisses and never found them. I'm making the traditional variety today.

Jenny said...

these certainly ain't my mama's classic PB bombs -- I love your spin on them! You are so inventive, sugarplum :)

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

you are the cutest!

there i said it.

lovelovelove your blog.

i swear i'm not creepy (although most people who have to say that are), but I'm currently recovering from surgery and have spent all my time checking out new blogs -- needless to say - so happy I found yours!

sorry for the nutzo message -- i blame the pain meds ;)

Krista said...

LOVE your twist on the cookies! Where do you pull all these great ideas from??? ;)

brandi said...

i still haven't found the candy cane kisses! these cookies look great, though.

MJC said...

Adorable cookies! I used to love that kind.

Shannon, Tropical Eats said...

ooooooh yummy!!! Those look so cute and tasty :) Idk if those two words belong together but for those cookies they do! that is sooooo cold out.. hope your movie was good chica! :) Stay warm!