Friday, December 4, 2009

Come Down to Candy Cane Lane

--My holiday photo contest is extended until December 20th, so keep sending your pictures to apinchandadash@live.com to win the Secret Santa gift!--

Ok, so I may be overdosing on candy canes this year—my tree is a prime example, but hey, I only think, eat, and talk about them during December!

December already?! I honestly wouldn’t believe it if it wasn’t for Jack Frost moving in on us in this last week—10 F temps, my trunk frozen shut, and bringing out the Columbia jacket—it’s December, no doubt. But, in just 26 days I am headed to Orlando for my grandma and I’s annual winter getaway trip. I haven’t been to Orlando in 3 years, so I am excited. Any tips on what to do or see? And any blogger’s in the area January 1-7th? If you are a meet up would be fun!

Now onto the main show..as you know I am not one to use store bought mixes and love making things from scratch, but I realized not everyone has the time to whip stuff up from scratch during this busy season, so I will be featuring some pre-made mix recipes too!

Candy Cane Cake

Candy cane

Makes: 12 servings

**Warning: Make sure you grease your tube pan VERY well**

Ingredients:

  • 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
  • Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box (I subbed unsweetened applesauce for oil)
  • 1/2
    teaspoon red food color
  • 1/2
    teaspoon peppermint extract
  • Icing: 1 c powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp milk or water, 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Topping: Crushed candy canes, if desired

Directions:

1.Heat oven to 325°F. Generously grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan. Make cake batter as directed on box. Pour about 2 cups batter into pan. Into small bowl, pour about 3/4 cup batter; stir in food color and peppermint extract. Carefully pour pink batter over white batter in pan. Carefully pour remaining white batter over pink batter.

2.Bake as directed on box or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Turn pan upside down onto cooling rack or heatproof serving plate; remove pan. Cool cake completely, about 1 hour.

3.In small bowl, mix icing ingredients. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Spread icing over cake. Sprinkle top with crushed candy. Store loosely covered.

 

Have a wonderful winter weekend!

10 comments:

Kim said...

I love the colors in the cake, it's so pretty! 10F is way too cold for me! Orlando will be a nice change for you, wish I was going too :D

The Purple Carrot said...

Candy cane cake ... sounds (and looks!) delicious! : )

Anonymous said...

I always do adore looking at your baked goods...they are always so whimsical! :-)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such a fun treat! :)

Nicole, RD said...

I met up with a fellow bloggie this past week, it was fun!

That dessert turned out beautifully and so festive! I love your recipes...they look delicious AND easy! Double thumbs up!!

Jenny said...

if that cake tastes half as amazing as it looks, it is definitely a winner. I love your holiday cheer :)

Krista said...

That would be a great cake for a potluck!!!

FLORIDA! Now that is definitely something to look forward to!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

That is the cutest cake! Love candy cane stuff!

The Healthy Hostess said...

What a fun looking cake! How cute! Great idea for a fun holiday party!
:)

Erica said...

What a cute cake! This would be perfect to bring to a holiday party!! That is really exciting that your vacation is coming up so quickly- I know you're going to have a blast. I will def be sending in my tree picture once I finally get it decorated...HOPEFULLY today!