Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sweet Shop Sunday

This work week definitely caught up with me and I am so thankful for Sunday’s off! I need to catch up on housework, other things, etc. but instead I am going to go meet my parents for the afternoon—so everything else can wait. :-)

But what can’t wait is this..

  • My first time making homemade granola barslove them!
  • And, a new video tutorial on how to make my beloved Fiber One Pie Crust..I get quite a few questions on it, so this video is well overdue.

With the pie crust you can make all of these recipes:

So sit back and enjoy the (short) show!

Video Notes

  • 1 1/2 c Fiber One original cereal goes into a Magic Bullet or food processor.
  • Once ground up, add in 1 Tbsp of Fat Free I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spread.
  • Stir, then add in 1 cup of warm water and mix until there are no loose crumbs left.
  • With a spatula, press into 9 inch pie pan and continue with desired pie recipe—you can pre-bake this as well, or just fill with pie filling and eat.

Now onto the granola bar recipe many of you are waiting for!

By the way, if you can make Rice Krispie bars, you can make these!

CIMG2466

No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars

Ingredients:

  • 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 cups plain granola
  • 1 cup rice cereal (Rice Krispies, etc.)
  • 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup any other kind of chips (peanut butter, white chocolate, toffee, etc)
  • Directions:
  • 1. Combine honey and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar after butter starts to melt.

    2. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.

    3. Add the granola and rice cereal into the saucepan and fold them into the sauce until evenly coated.

    4. Spread the mixture into a 9×13 inch ungreased baking pan and press firmly with a spatula to evenly fill. Sprinkle the chocolate and peanut butter chips onto the top of the granola and gently press them down.

    5. Put the pan in the refrigerator until cooled and firm, about 15 minutes, then cut into bars.

    18 servings

    CIMG2468

    These are SO good and very open to customization. What flavor combos are you thinking of trying?!

    15 comments:

    Sook said...

    CaSaundra, these homemade granola bars look so tempting! So healthy and delicious, I am sure.

    Cookie Sleuth said...

    I'm looking forward to giving these granola bars a try. Mmmm....

    Jessica said...

    The bars look great! When I'm not at work, I'm going to watch your video, really cool.

    Mary Bergfeld said...

    These bars look delicious. I really want to give them a try. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    Kelly said...

    Yum. Those granola bars look delectable. It's also amazing to know how many different things you can make pie crusts out of!!

    Krista said...

    Holy yum to the bars!!!

    Hope you had a great afternoon with your parents...

    Nicole, RD said...

    Those granola bars sound wonderful! I love the no-bake part :) Are they crumbly? It's really not that much ooey gooey honey and butter to hold it all together :)

    Jenny said...

    I love "all purpose" recipes that you can use for a gazillion different things. That crust sounds like it has endless possibilities :)

    I have yet to venture into homemade granola bar land. Pre-packaged ones are just so much easier. I wish I had your culinary ambition :)

    Anonymous said...

    Homemade granola bars are one of my favorite breakfasts/snacks. I love that you control what goes into them and they are so free of preservatives. My favorite flavor is an almond, dried orange-cranberries combination. I usually bake them though...I like the thought of yours being no-bake, especially in the heat of the summer! Thanks for sharing...glad I found your blog :)

    sophia said...

    Ooh I'm gonna make a big batch of that and give it to my brother..he's always at work and needing a snack to go in the mornings! And it is so simple with minimal ingredients, too!

    Erica said...

    I hope you got some relaxing in!! Aren't homemade granola bars the best? They make me never want to buy any from the store! So cool that you were born in MA! I grew up in Andover (about 7 years!!).

    brandi said...

    Your granola bars look great! I love making my own at home, too.

    Mary Bergfeld said...

    Thank you for the video but I especially appreciate the recipe for the granola bars. They sound terrific. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    The Healthy Hostess said...

    Love the video and hte crust recipe! Yum!! I need to try that! Sometimes I do a similar thing with pretzels because I love the salty sweet combo! The granola bars look amazing too!!

    Shannon, Tropical Eats said...

    loving how you dont have to cook these! white chocolate sounds like it would be a delish ingredient for them.

    Maybe cranberry almond too!