Stopping by with a little south-of-the-border flare today! I love Mexican food—quesadillas, burritos, and salsa. Here’s some tips for eating healthier at your favorite Mexican restaurant:
- Choose soft shells vs. crunchy—they are baked and not fried.
- Go all out with salsa.
- Black beans are an excellent choice for most any dieter. They are low-fat, high in protein and provide plenty of fiber.
Refried beans may sound like a good choice, but they are often prepared with lard and Mexican cheese blends, or even bacon, which really ups the fat and calorie content of what could be a healthy side.
Con queso dips and nacho cheese are tempting toppers for chips, but they're both extremely rich and high in fat and calories.
Switch to bean burritos instead of beef or cheese burritos and you'll be saying adios to lots of extra calories.
Some better choices are: chicken fajitas, bean burritos, a sautéed chicken dish with peppers and onions (hold the cheese!), or a soft taco.
Some popular dishes to avoid include: nachos, chimichangas, chalupas, taquitos, and chile relleno.
What are your healthy Mexican eating tips?
Since you don’t always have to go out to get a southern sizzle, I like eating Mexican homemade at times, even though I have not once ounce of Mexican in me..pasta+bread=Italian is all me! :-)
- One 8’-12’ whole wheat tortilla
- 1/4 c Boca soy crumbles, or other meatless crumbles of your choice
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp FF sour cream
- 1/2 of a Roma tomato, chopped and seeded
- Handful of shredded lettuce
- 2 Tbsp black beans
- 1/4 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Add a dash of taco sauce to finish it up, my favorite below
- Mix taco seasoning with thawed Boca crumbles.
- Pretty easy if you’ve ever eaten a taco—get out your tortilla, put lettuce, cheese and all the rest of the layers, topping it off with sour cream. Roll up that taco and chow!
Now if you want to eat a few tacos, instead of and extremely heavy side and dessert, a spicy Mexican soup can pair wonderfully with tacos—I am extremely happy with this soup recipe I came up with—enjoy!
Black Bean Taco Stoup
(It’s somewhat like soup, but somewhat like stew, hence the “stoup”)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed in 1’ cubes
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 14.5 oz can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 7 oz black beans, rinsed from the can
- 2 Tbsp mild salsa
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp basil
- Sauté onion in a sprayed stock pot on medium heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add bell peppers and sweet potato, reducing heat to low-med and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and stir.
- Turn heat to low and add in all the rest of the ingredients except the beans, stirring after each addition.
- Simmer for 30 minutes then stir in beans.
- Serve with a dollop of FF sour cream if you wish!
And to round off this Mexican meal, head on over to the lovely Kelly and her blog to get the recipe for some Mini Cinnamon Horchata Cupcakes…adios!
**Anoooother chocolate-covered giveaway for the chocolate monster within!**
**Gourmet popcorn flavors up for grabs here!**
**Crackers with a hefty dose of Omega' 3’s—two chances to get your hands on some here!**