Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Midweek Mexican

Hello Amigos!

Stopping by with a little south-of-the-border flare today! I love Mexican food—quesadillas, burritos, and salsa. Here’s some tips for eating healthier at your favorite Mexican restaurant:

  • Choose soft shells vs. crunchy—they are baked and not fried.
  • Go all out with salsa.
  • Black beans are an excellent choice for most any dieter. They are low-fat, high in protein and provide plenty of fiber.
  • Refried beans may sound like a good choice, but they are often prepared with lard and Mexican cheese blends, or even bacon, which really ups the fat and calorie content of what could be a healthy side.

  • Con queso dips and nacho cheese are tempting toppers for chips, but they're both extremely rich and high in fat and calories.

  • Switch to bean burritos instead of beef or cheese burritos and you'll be saying adios to lots of extra calories.

  • Some better choices are: chicken fajitas, bean burritos, a sautéed chicken dish with peppers and onions (hold the cheese!), or a soft taco.

  • Some popular dishes to avoid include: nachos, chimichangas, chalupas, taquitos, and chile relleno.

What are your healthy Mexican eating tips?

Since you don’t always have to go out to get a southern sizzle, I like eating Mexican homemade at times, even though I have not once ounce of Mexican in me..pasta+bread=Italian is all me! :-)

Vegetarian Tacos

CIMG0549

Serves: 1

Ingredients:

  • One 8’-12’ whole wheat tortilla
  • 1/4 c Boca soy crumbles, or other meatless crumbles of your choice
  • 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
  • 2 tbsp FF sour cream
  • 1/2 of a Roma tomato, chopped and seeded
  • Handful of shredded lettuce
  • 2 Tbsp black beans
  • 1/4 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • Add a dash of taco sauce to finish it up, my favorite below

CIMG0543

Directions:

  1. Mix taco seasoning with thawed Boca crumbles.
  2. Pretty easy if you’ve ever eaten a taco—get out your tortilla, put lettuce, cheese and all the rest of the layers, topping it off with sour cream. Roll up that taco and chow!

CIMG0548

Now if you want to eat a few tacos, instead of and extremely heavy side and dessert, a spicy Mexican soup can pair wonderfully with tacos—I am extremely happy with this soup recipe I came up with—enjoy!

Black Bean Taco Stoup

CIMG0957

(It’s somewhat like soup, but somewhat like stew, hence the “stoup”)

Serves:4

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed in 1’ cubes
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 14.5 oz can Italian stewed tomatoes
  • 14 oz chicken broth
  • 7 oz black beans, rinsed from the can
  • 2 Tbsp mild salsa
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp basil

Directions:

  • Sauté onion in a sprayed stock pot on medium heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add bell peppers and sweet potato, reducing heat to low-med and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and stir.
  • Turn heat to low and add in all the rest of the ingredients except the beans, stirring after each addition.
  • Simmer for 30 minutes then stir in beans.
  • Serve with a dollop of FF sour cream if you wish!

And to round off this Mexican meal, head on over to the lovely Kelly and her blog to get the recipe for some Mini Cinnamon Horchata Cupcakes…adios!

 

Daily Giveaways

**Anoooother chocolate-covered giveaway for the chocolate monster within!**

**Gourmet popcorn flavors up for grabs here!**

**Crackers with a hefty dose of Omega' 3’s—two chances to get your hands on some here!**

16 comments:

Erica said...

YUMMMM all around! I actually have black bean soup on the menu for this Friday! I have never added in potato though and I love the idea of it being more stoup like!

Jenny said...

great post, missy! mexican food is by FAR my favorite kind -- but going out mexican restaurants always causes med anxiety 'cause well, as we both know - it's not exactly the healthiest! but some beans and cheese every so often can't hurt us ;)

Kelly said...

I responded to your comment on my blog but wanted to make sure you saw the answer. It's called Paninos. Sooo good. I always get the Hawaiian. There is also an amazing place in Minneapolis called Pizza Nea which I love. They have more neopolitan style pizzas and they are really good.

I forget if you've mentioned this, but where in MN does your family live? If you're going to be in the Twin Cities area at all around Thanksgiving or Xmas let me know because it would be great to meet up. I'll be there from Nov. 21-27 and from Dec. 17 to 27. It would be great to meet up and grab a bite to eat or a coffee. Perhaps we could even meet at one of your favorite places.

Krista said...

I'm not a huge fan of tacos, but that stoup sounds wonderful!!!

Stacey said...

I love Mexican food! I don't eat out as much as I used to but I always got a bean burrito with chips and salsa.

Kim said...

I love Mexican food too! It is probably my favorite type of food to eat. I love all your tips about Mexican food and try to practice them when eating out. That being said, I hardly drink, but I have to have a frozen margarita when I'm at a good mexican restaurant! I love chicken fajitas so that is what I usually order. Both your stoup and the veggie burrito look delicious!!

Sook said...

Like you said, anything in tortillas are wonderful! Your burrito looks scrumptious and healthy!

The Purple Carrot said...

Wonderful tips!! : )

brandi said...

i love black bean soup! So good and easy.

Erica said...

Oh gosh- in terms of TJs: Flat bread crackers, pretzels with sesame seeds, nut butters, flattened bananas, their grain mix.....I'll keep thinking!

Karine said...

Mexican food is so tasty! :) I had never heard about a taco soup before though.

Anonymous said...

ahh mexican food is mah fave! :) love love love itt!

Anonymous said...

I've never tried much Mexican food, but I've tried ones that suck, and ones that rock. I LOVE pupusa. Super amazing, with a pork and cheese filling...not exactly diet-friendly, though, I suppose...

Steph said...

wow
that is looking very good.
you have a great blog :)

Shannon, Tropical Eats said...

mmm Mexican food.. ole ole! I love Taco Salads, chips and salsa, and a good guacamole!

I love your themed food posts:)

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
I have a blog based on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share
some stories/information. I know my readers would enjoy your work.
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.



Also visit my homepage ... www.echuca.org