Thursday, January 27, 2011

Better Late Than Never

So glad everyone enjoyed the Dialect Vlog. But lets face it, I guess there’s no hiding that I am from Minnesota! :-)

winter-divider

So everyone knows how you have intentions to do something, you push it aside for “just a day”. Well that day turns into a week, and eventually other life happenings come about, and before you know it, what you had originally planned to do about a month ago becomes a case of the better late than never fashion. I’m a big believer in realizing that procrastination is a serious art that you have to master, and I am determined to not let it creep up on me near as much as it has been lately!

So coming to you in a better late than never fashion….

Sometime before Christmas I was trolling the aisles of the Dollar Tree. Everything was pure craziness due to the fact that it was only a week or two before Christmas. So as I was pushing my way past people trying to make my way to the food aisle to check out their new offerings, I saw this

IMG_0687

And there was only one left of the shelf, so I immediately swooped in and grabbed it and knew I had to have it. I mean, anything with Paula Deen on it has to be rich and delicious, right? So as I was giddy with joy at the super buy I got, I spotted a box of the vanilla cupcake mix as well. So keep an eye out for the review for those soon!

It’s your basic cupcake recipe—add eggs, oil, and water—nothing fancy.

IMG_0702

Mix well..

IMG_0704

Get your liners ready. I used Wilton pastel colors.

IMG_0708

Once the oven is preheated, put em’ in..

IMG_0709

Meanwhile..I wanted to make these as New Year’s cupcakes, so I got out my Wilton tips and bags..

IMG_0711

Bag holder..

IMG_0715

And some milk chocolate chips that I melted in a double boiler and put into a pastry bag. I made chocolate letters that said things like, “Happy New Year” and “2011”. I piped them onto wax paper and let them cool for about an hour, then removed with a metal spatula.

IMG_0724

I found a recipe for Coconut Sour Cream frosting so I..

  • whipped up a batch of frosting (subbing coconut extract for vanilla)
  • frosted the cooled cupcakes
  • rolled in sweetened coconut flakes
  • topped with the chocolate letters

165133_477707354435_502974435_6098129_6399026_n

REVIEW: Paula Deen has done it again y’all! The cupcakes all domed up perfectly, the texture was a great balance between moistness and crumb. The chocolate flavor was right at the point where you know it’s chocolaty, but it’s not overdone. And for a buck? You just can’t beat a box of these when you need a quick cupcake fix!

 

What do you normally buy at dollar stores?

Another steal I always stock up on is jarred red bell peppers..they are identical to more expensive brands!

11 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

The cupcakes look wonderful and that you were able to buy the mix at that price was a steal. I, unfortunately, don't live in an area where there are true dollar stores. If there were, I'd be all over the kitchen gadgets. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon said...

I'm super impressed! That's such a cute idea, and the cupcakes turned out just lovely. I haven't been to the dollar store in ages, but I remember picking up some nifty wrapping paper and gift boxes the last time I went :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

Erica said...

What a find! I honestly haven't been to a dollar store in ages- maybe I need to start going. The final product is so pretty. The white icing looks pretty on the dark cupcakes and you can never go wrong with coconut. Hope you have a good weekend

Kelsey Ann said...

i want to inhale those chocolate "2011's" :) :) yum yum yum. and the coconut!! ooOoooOo!!

i usually pick up AA batteries from the dollar store. so much cheaper than other places and i always find i never have enough of them on hand when i need them.

xoxo

sophia said...

I LOVE PAULA DEEN!! Seriously, the lady is just TOO adorable. And she's refreshing in this health-conscious society, don't you think?

I usually just buy the odd stuff at dollar stores, like notebooks, stick glue, and the occasional packet of cookies. ;-)

Tropical Eats said...

adorable!!!

LOVE dollar stores, my bro and I used to go buy those toy bow and arrows in the toy aisle and have cowboy and indian wars in the backyard.

So fun!

laurie said...

That was a great find! Is the dollar store the one in the mall? I always run through that one when I'm up there.

Meri said...

Aww, the coconut is so pretty! It looks like our snow covered land of Minnesota haha:)
Meri
merigoesround.blogspot.com

emily said...

Cute cupcakes!!! I usually buy cleaning supplies, ziploc bags, and coffee mugs at the dollar store!

Krista said...

Love the cupcakes! I usually buy party supplies at the dollar store. :) And I know what you mean about things sliding by faster than you'd like (or think)!

Unknown said...

oh paula deen, you are a goddess.