Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Toes in the Sand

If any of you guessed that the last day of our California vacation was spent on the beach, you’d be right!

Santa Monica beach to be exact. We finally decided to ditch the public buses and rent a car, which is not easy to do by the way if you’re under 25. But there’s always loops you can jump through!

The 3-day LA Go Pass we bought was really a good buy after all. If you’re going to any major city, I highly suggest looking into a Go Card..we saved over $150 on all the attractions we went to, including today’s Santa Monica Pier.

It was a beautiful day in the high 80’s and clear blue skies as far as you could see!!

Before we explored..we hit up McDonald’s. Now I am not at all a fan of fast food, McDonald’s to be particular, but we didn’t feel like walking miles to find a sit down restaurant and we were on the last day of our vacation, so saving money was crucial.

After debating, I settled on the Southwestern Chicken Salad minus the cheese and crunchy tortilla strips. I also got the fat-free balsamic dressing and some apple dippers on the side. Not bad for a McDonald’s salad!

Now back to the beach…

Pretending I have enough muscles to pose for Muscle Beach..

I’ve always loved the ocean..

The famous Santa Monica Pier Ferris Wheel

Happy being beach bums..

I even embraced the chance for free marketing ha ha!

Time to ride the Ferris wheel…

Just in time for the sunset…

Our last California sunset…

And even though the sun went down, we still had a few hours before heading back to the hotel, so we made our way to the Santa Monica Place for some nighttime shopping.

But first we wanted to grab some food so we could say that we ate at Pacific Park on the famous pier;

“Pacific Park® frequently serves as the location for popular entertainment productions including television shows featuring Alias, American Idol, Monk and NYPD Blue; feature films such as First Daughter, Fat Albert and Jarhead; television commercials such as Joe Boxer and Sierra Mist; still photography shoots including Vogue magazine; and music videos featuring Jessica Simpson.”

We chose to eat at the Harbor Grill which had a little bit of everything.

Photo3497

Photo3496

I had the veggie burger with sweet potato fries, which was a great choice. My only complaint is the bun was much too doughy, so I ditched the top half.

Photo3498

The Santa Monica Place is a huge shopping venue only 3 blocks from the pier.

CIMG3949

CIMG3939

There was tons of people everywhere, and lucky for me, a Pinkberry too!!

CIMG3942

CIMG3943

I got the coconut flavor with tons of fresh berries—perfect snack to power me through the rest of the night!

CIMG3944

And check out this awesome garbage can we stumbled upon..I so wanted to take it home!

CIMG3951

And then came Monday…sad day.

We had to head back to Minnesota, but we were overall so thankful that we literally got to cram everything we had planned on doing into the days we were there. It was an exhausting trip, going everyday from 7 am to 12am, but hey when you’re on the west coast, there’s things to do and places to go all the time!

Hope you all enjoyed the re-caps of my October 2010 California trip! Now things will get back to scheduled on the blog, keep your eye out for lots of fall goodies! :-)

What’s the best vacation you’ve been on?

12 comments:

brandi said...

so much fun - now I wish I was at the beach!

my favorite vacation would have to be our family trip to Spain to visit my sister and her husband. It was just incredible and my first time to ever go to Europe. I can't wait to travel more!

Kelly said...

You look adorable in those photos! Looks like a very fun trip.

Pretty Zesty said...

My best vacation was to Paris a few years ago.I love the Santa Monica Pier too. I think it's the only thing I love about Cali. Sorry, I'm a jaded New Yorker. lol

Krista said...

Oh, the beach! So weird to see people in bikini's when its cold here! LOL Looks like a fantastic trip. I'm so jealous!

The Purple Carrot said...

Okay, the weather looks PERFECT!! What a wonderful time ... and hooray for fro yo!

Erica said...

I love love love the beach (which is probably why I live 10 minutes from one :)). More froyo too? What a day. Glad you had such an awesome trip

megan said...

Looks like an awesome trip! I love the beach, but haven't been in years. Your post made me miss summer vacations with my family!

Shannon, Tropical Eats said...

oooh i love beaches and ferris wheels! :) glad you had a great vacay girly. yay for free marketing! hehe

my fave vacations are always when we go camping in georgia. it feels so good to escape and soak up the mountain air every once in a while

Kelsey Ann said...

i think because i had mcdonald's salads 24/7 growing up, i just have the taste buds for them, so that craving never truly goes away. mmmmm <3

please take me with you to the beach next time!! haha i NEED that weather and i need that beach!!

btw thank you for ur (always) lovely comment. i LOVE your blog too <3

xoxo

sophia said...

Aw...that place brings back fond memories...I was with my parents the last time I was there. My best vacation was when I went to SF to visit my cousins...god that place is foodie town...and best of all, my aunt paid for everything I ate! Tee hee.

btw, love your new clean layout!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun said...

That certainly looks like a fabulous time! I've never been anywhere in Cali and would love to go.

Christina said...

love the muscle beach pic! :)