What is colcannon?
Corned beef and cabbage
Mashed potatoes and spinach
Mashed potatoes with onions and greens
Corned beef with onions and greens A bar in which city recently made the world's largest Irish coffee?
True or false: Irish soda bread is made with club soda.
What is boxty?
- A traditional Irish stew
- A mix of raw and cooked potatoes
- An Irish-style omelet
- An Irish liquor made from potatoes
True or false: Bailey's Irish Cream actually hails from Ireland.
One: Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish consisting of mashed potatoes mixed with onions and greens.
Two: It was the Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco.
Three: False. Though it contains baking soda, Irish soda bread contains no club soda.
Four: Boxty is a mix of raw and cooked potatoes that's often made into bread, pancakes, and dumplings.
Five: True. Launched in the 1970s, Baileys is indeed Irish in origin.
I got 3 out of 5 right. Number 2 and 4 got me! I have actually never heard of boxty—what was your score?
For each petal on the shamrock
This brings a wish your way-
Good health, good luck, and happiness
For today and every day.
St.Pattie’s Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 box Pillsbury Devil’s Food Cake
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c Andes mint chips
- 24 cupcake liners
- 1 tsp mint extract
- few drops green food coloring
- 1 stick butter
- 3 3-4 c powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to degree called for on cake mix box. Mix cake mix, oil and eggs together thoroughly. Add mini chocolate chips.
- Line cupcake pan with liners and pour until each is about 2/3 full.
- Bake as directed.
- Meanwhile, for the frosting, combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix until combined. Add more milk if necessary for spreading consistency.
- Let cupcakes cool completely—45 minutes.
- Place frosting in a star fitted pastry bag and pipe frosting on cupcakes. Immediately top with Andes mint chips.