Sunday afternoon I arrived into Boston and was greeted with 60 degrees and sunshine beaming through the clear blue skies. A great start to a vacation! I love flying into the Boston airport—right over the ocean!
I was ready to get off the over-packed plane and stretch my legs—where better to do it than Harvard Square!? It’s been a tradition to go there every time I come out east—so much energy, people, and sights to see.
We had planned on eating at the renown Bartley’s Burgers, but being Sunday it was closed unfortunately.
My aunt & I
So instead of eating there, we walked around and stumbled on a little cafe. I ended up getting a bowl of unpictured blueberry chicken soup which sounded different, but was surprisingly delicious!!
Then of course I had to venture inside the gourmet cooking shop! So many things to browse through.
But backing up to Saturday—I made up a new strata recipe to clean out the fridge. I wrapped it all up in tinfoil to take for snacking on the plane. Then Saturday night, I went out to eat at the Green Mill and got my favorite, the Chicken Parmesan. They upped the serving to 3 chicken breasts now instead of 2, which is way too much to eat at one sitting, especially when you have a big baked potato too. So instead of getting rid of it, I decided to wrap that up to and made this for Monday’s lunch…
A chicken parmesan sandwich with mushrooms, and some roasted kabocha squash.
I also tried a newer flavor of yogurt in the Dannon Light N’ Fit line, the Banana! It was actually really good—no artificial banana taste.
It was even better topped with some Tropical Dried Fruit pieces on top…
Here's the new strata recipe!
Start Your Day Strata
- 1/2 c yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 c yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 c mushrooms
- 1/2 c spinach
- 1/2 c cottage cheese
- 1/2 c eggbeaters
- 1/2 c milk (I used 8th Continent soymilk)
- 1/4 c chunky salsa
- 2 light whole wheat buns (I use Village Hearth)
- 5 thin slices of deli ham
- 1 Yukon gold potato—sliced very thin
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Take whole wheat buns and split in half. Tear up into cubes and press evenly into the bottom of the dish.
- Mix cottage cheese, milk, egg beaters, and salsa until combined.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions, mushrooms and bell peppers on medium until fork tender—5 minutes. Pour on top of bun cubes and spread evenly.
- Next, pour egg mixture over the vegetables and let sit for 15 minutes. Layer spinach over the top.
- Cover the egg mixture evenly with the slices of ham and top with the thin slices of potato. Sprinkle seasoning and fennel seeds evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Cool and cut into 4 large slices.
We finished the day with dinner at Pub 99. I was craving some good New England seafood, so luckily they had just what I was looking for.
Captain's Combo Platter - A hearty sampling of all your fried favorites - shrimp, sweet scallops and haddock served with french fries and coleslaw.
I got it broiled instead of fried, a baked potato instead of fries and butternut squash instead of coleslaw—so good!
**Stay tuned for the other half of my trip!**