Well, I am sad to say it, but I think old man winter is making his way to Minnesota. Nightly temps have been in the 30’s, and the daily temps barely reach 50. Although I do like winter because it means:
- hot chocolate
- baking with a warm oven on
- bringing out the electric blankets
- watching the trees get covered in pretty, glistening snow
- the holiday seasons
Ok, so basically I am just trying to be positive—I really do not like anything about winter, well besides the holiday season. What’s winter like in your neck of the woods? (Al Roker slang ha!)
So, the other day I bought something I haven’t bought in a long time—hot dog buns! I went into our local bread store (where bread is highly discounted), and noticed that there was whole-wheat hot dog buns! I grabbed em’ since they were only $2, and I knew I would find some use for them. But then I got home and realized I do not eat nor like hot dogs, so it was time to get creative!
Italian Sautéed Sub Sandwich
- One hot dog bug
- 1/4 c sliced green bell pepper
- 1/4 c sliced onion
- 1 Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- 1/4 c pizza sauce
- 1/4 c of shredded cheese blend
- Toast bun briefly in a toaster oven or under broiler.
- Sautee sausage, onion, and pepper.
- Spread sauce on bun, add veggies/sausage.
- Put cheese on the top side of the bun.
- Place back in toaster over or broiler until cheese is bubbly and hot!
Easy, cheap, fast, and GOOD!
So then I found myself on another quest—ways to use up all these bargain buns. Here’s some great uses for them that I came up with!
- Make fast cheesy breadsticks by splitting buns, sprinkling some cheese, and toasting in the oven.
- Make French toast—ok, so not your typical looking French toast, but still good nonetheless!
- Garlic bread. Use this method to make them.
- Miniature pizzas anyone?
- Pulse the buns in a food processor for quick bread crumbs.
- Use them for my strata!
- PB and Banana sandwiches—the banana will fit perfect =)
- Use them in your favorite bread pudding recipe.
- Make any kind of mini subs for on-the-go lunches.
- Homemade croutons in an instant!
- Use them in your meatloaf recipes.
What are your ideas for using up hot dog buns?!