Yay for video posts! I got two for you today—one for Whole Wheat Fennel Rolls and one for my homemade Rustic Tortellini Soup! I will post the recipes below in case you don’t want to watch me blabber on for 10 + minutes!(Don’t worry I will understand ha!) Have a wonderful Sunday.
Rustic Tortellini Soup
Rustic Tortellini Soup
- 1/2 C butternut squash, chopped
- 1/2 C zucchini squash, chopped
- 1/2 C diced bell pepper(preferably not green)
- 1/2 C sliced yellow onion
- 9 oz bag of frozen spinach, thawed
- About 8 oz of cheese tortellini pasta
- 6 C beef broth or other broth of choice
- 1 C water, or 1/2 C water-1/2 C red wine
- 1 can of sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
- Seasonings of choice
- Chop all veggies(including carrots with a little juice from the can, otherwise strained) and add the a skillet sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Sauté at medium heat until fork tender 3-5 min, adding the minced garlic right before the next step. Then add in both cans of tomato sauce, turn on low and let simmer until needed in the next step.
- In a stockpot, add broth, water, noodles, stewed tomatoes, and spinach—stir together. Put stockpot on another burner and turn on low heat.
- Add the sautéed veggies/tomato sauce to the stockpot, pouring carefully. Once you’ve done that, make sure to give it a good stir.
- Add in seasonings of choice or even a shot of lemon juice, let simmer on low-medium for about 25-30 minutes until heated through. Make sure to keep stirring to avoid things stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Whole Wheat Fennel Rolls
- 1/3 C warm water (105-115 F)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 envelope (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp fennel seeds + 1 more for sprinkling
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 C whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup warm skim milk
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water and honey. Stir yeast into the water mixture and let stand until foamy, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl and add fennel seeds, all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour. Whisk to blend, then make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk, olive oil and salt. Pour into well of flour mixture, along with yeast mixture. Stir until dough comes together. Knead until smooth, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp, clean towel and allow to rise 45 minutes. Punch down dough, then knead lightly. Divide into 16 pieces, then roll each into ball, tucking any seams under. Place on a large nonstick baking sheet and cover with damp towel. Let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°. Uncover dough, brush rolls with egg white, then sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon seeds. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, until lightly browned and hollow-sounding when tapped lightly. Serve warm.